Tom Ripley wants out. He is struggling to stay one step ahead of his creditors and the law, when an unexpected acquaintance offers him a free trip to Europe and a chance to start over. Ripley wants money, success and the good life…and he’s willing to kill for it. When his new-found happiness is threatened, his response is as swift as it is shocking.
Murderous Mr Ripley is first introduced in The Talented Mr Ripley. The powerfully attractive character returns in the gripping novels Ripley Under Ground, Ripley’s Game, The Boy Who Followed Ripley and Ripley Under Water. The final novel Ripley Under Water was published in 1991. These five novels are known collectively as the Ripliad.
After more than 55 years, The Talented Mr Ripley is still being read across the world. But what do YOU think of the book? Does it deserve its iconic status? What is it about the book that makes it so eerie yet at the same time fascinating? Do we see Ripley suffer from any remorse, or does he slip down the bloody trail with a worrying sense of ease? Are those around Ripley’s crimes affected by them, or is the world Ripley inhabits strangely immune from guilt? How does the novel question individual power and choice?
Come and share your thoughts on this psychological thriller at one of our special Big Read events!Festival Reader-In-Residence Martyn Waites will be taking a whistle stop tour of the North of England to meet readers in Yorkshire and the North East, with the aim of intriguing readers with this tantalising exploration of identity.
- Tue 24 May, 2pm, Skipton Library. Tickets £3. Tel. 0845 034 9538
- Tue 24 May, 7.30pm, Ripon Library. Tickets £3. Tel. 0845 034 9524
- Thu 26 May, 2.30pm, Leyburn Library. Tickets £3. Tel. 0845 034 9505
- Thu 26 May, 7.30pm, Knaresborough Library. Tickets £3. Tel. 0845 300 5112
- Tue 31 May, 2.30pm, Northallerton Library. Tickets £3. Tel. 0845 034 9506
- Mon 23 May, 6pm, Bramley Library. Tickets FREE. Tel. 0113 214 6040 or 0113 247 6016
- Wed 25 May, 1.45pm, Yeadon Library. Tickets FREE. Tel. 0113 214 6501 or 0113 247 6016
Newcastle, North Tyneside & South Tyneside
- Wed 25 May, 7pm, North Shields Library. Tickets £3. Tel 0191 643 5270
- Wed 1 June, 2pm, Kenton Library. Tickets FREE. Tel. 0191 2774100
- Wed 1 June, 7.30pm, South Shields Central Library. Tickets £1. Tel 0191 4247879
- Thu 2 June, 10am, Hebburn Library. Tickets FREE. Tel 0191 4247879
- Thu 2 June, 2pm, East End Library. Tickets FREE. Tel. 0191 2774100
- Thu 2 June, 6pm, City Library. Tickets FREE. Tel. 0191 2774100
Can’t make the events? Read Crimesquad’s Chris Simmons‘ fantastic article on Highsmith and her writing and join the discussion online now!