Win a bundle of 4 Mystery Press books – The Poisonous Seed by Linda Stratmann, Best Eaten Cold: A Murder Squad Anthology, Avon Street by Paul Emanuelli and Dead Image by Joan Lock.
The Poisonous Seed by Linda Stratmann
When a customer of William Doughty’s chemist shop dies of strychnine poisoning after drinking medicine he dispensed, William is blamed, and the family faces ruin. William’s daughter, nineteen-year-old Frances, determines to redeem her ailing father’s reputation and save the business. She soon becomes convinced that the death was murder, but unable to convince the police, she turns detective. Armed only with her wits, courage and determination, and aided by some unconventional new friends, Frances uncovers a startling deception and solves a ten-year-old murder. There will be more deaths, and a secret in her own family will be revealed before the killer is unmasked, and Frances will find that her life has changed forever.
Best Eaten Cold and Other Stories by The Murder Squad (Ann Cleeves, Martin Edwards, Cath Staincliffe, Margaret Murphy, Stuart Pawson)
Best Eaten Cold and Other Stories showcases a group of highly regarded, award winning crime writers who all share a special passion for crime, which is reflected in this superb new volume. Funny and sad, atmospheric and dark, ingenious and frightening, each of the thirteen stories in this collection will keep you guessing to the very end. From the creepy undertones of Riviera to the mystery of The Habit of Silence, this Murder Squad anthology has something for crime fiction lovers everywhere.
Avon Street by Paul Emanuelli
One night, one rash act, one crime changed James Daunton’s life for ever. Robbed of everything he once had, and trapped in a merciless vendetta, James must now take on Nathaniel Caine and his gang to survive. Alone, he cannot hope to win, but to find allies he needs to learn to trust in a world of betrayal. Each of those who promise help has their own secrets, hidden in silences, half-truths and lies. And asked if it is fate, destiny, or simply chance that brings them together, each of them would have a different answer. Avon Street is an historical adventure story that takes the reader on a journey behind the Georgian façades of the city to expose the darker side of Victorian Bath. It is a book about the potential that lies, often unlocked or unrecognised, in all of us.
Dead Image by Joan Lock
The explosion was heard twenty miles away. It killed boatmen and wrecked the exotic villa of Lawrence Alma-Tadema, the fashionable St John’s Wood artist. But what caused the 1874 Regents Park explosion? Fenian bombs? Sabotage by rival railways or other firms? Or was it something personal? And whose was the other body found in the canal? An artist’s model? The missing King’s Cross barmaid? Or another victim of the so-called Thames murderer? As he struggles to find the answers, Scotland Yard’s Sergeant Ernest Best straddles the conflicting worlds of art, wealth and privilege and that of the poverty-stricken canal boatmen in an intriguing mystery that will change his life forever.
How to Win
Answer the following question correctly:
Q: The Poisonous Seed was the first book in the Frances Doughty Mystery series, but what is the title of the second book due for publication this year?
Send your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than midnight on Sunday 15th April.
- Closing date for entries is midnight on Sunday 15th April 2012.
- No purchase is necessary to enter the prize draw.
- Entry to prize draw is by email only. You’re Booked accepts not responsibility for incomplete or invalid entries.
- The winning entries will be drawn at random. Winners will be alerted within 1 week of the closing date and will be notified by email.
- A list of the winners will be available under the competition post after this date, subject to the winner’s permission being given.
- The prize is not transferable and cannot be exchanged for cash or alternative books.
- The Prize Draw is open to all UK residents aged 18 or over.
- Data submitted for the Prize will be collected to ensure entrants are made aware of future Mystery Press titles. Please advise upon entering if you do not wish for your details to be used in this way.
- By entering this Prize Draw each entrant agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions.