We know your primary concern will be your booking and that the cancellation of our Festivals will be disruptive and disappointing for you. We ask you for your support and patience and ask you not to contact the office or team directly at this time as we are currently working remotely.
Our team, now reduced to three working staff members will endeavour to contact ticket booker directly in order to speak with you about the options for your booking.
There are a number of options for how you might choose for us process your booking moving forward, you may consider transferring your booking to 2021, or donating a portion of your ticket value to HIF, rather than requesting a full refund. As a charity, your support is crucial to our survival and we would as you to consider the options above as you wait for us to contact you. We recognise that this time of uncertainty affects everybody differently, but if you are in a position to help us remain a vital part of the community, we would be enormously grateful.